21 March 2012

Nepal - Peace Pagota

We had a great room at Mountain Villa hotel. One of the best things about it was the view from the terrace right outside our door. In one direction, I couldn't keep my eyes off Machapuchare (Fish Tail). Looking the other way, the Peace Pagota always caught my eye. Fish Tail was the first thing I would see when I opened my door each morning. For at least a week after arriving back in Seattle, the thought of the mountain was very present each morning. "I wonder what Fish Tail looks like today?"


Fish Tail was a bit out of my reach as a destination, being way up in the mountains and protected and all. But, the Peace Pagota could be easily reached. Just a few days before leaving Pokhara, we had a particularly lovely sunset and looking up at the temple I realized that I didn't have much time left if I wanted to get there.


My second to last day in Pokhara I had one of my most satisfying flights of the trip, landed at the end of the lake, kited a bit and then went off to meet Heather so we could make our way to the Peace Pagota.


Our plan was to take a taxi to the top, hike down to the lake and get a sunset paddle back to Pokhara. The plan worked out nicely. The view of Pokhara was pretty great. On the way across the water, the huge gorgeous mountains peaked out from the huge gorgeous clouds.


Heather next to a sign intended to spur us on, had we been walking uphill instead of down.


When we got near the water, a fellow greeted us on the trail and asked us if we needed a boat. We had wondered how we would find a boat. We quickly negotiated a price and then followed him onto the grounds of a small resort on the water.


He paddled us across the lake. It was such a peaceful moment.

No comments: