05 March 2012

Nepal - Kathmandu, First Look

Kathmandu is impossible to describe. The first impression is total chaos, but it is more organized than that I'm sure. I suspect the order that does exist is simply a kind I can't understand or recognize very well. I should have taken video. The photos don't catch the constant motion in all directions. Wikipedia says close to a million people live in Kathmandu. I don't think I noticed any street lights (see power note below), but traffic was directed by officers at major intersections. Otherwise, the horn is the main form vehicle to vehicle, vehicle to pedestrian, vehicle to cow communication. Okay, I didn't see any cows in the middle of traffic in Kathmandu, I don't think. The eye quickly gets used to new environments.

Check the thick conglomeration of powerlines on each pole. Electrical service is a trick anyway. It's on several hours at night and several hours during the day, off the rest of the time. I've heard there's more power during the rainy season when there's water to run over hydroelectric dams.


Notice the very large tree on the roof.


Cooper pots and cool windows.


Old door.


In Thamel, an old part of town where tourists gather, the shops are open mid-morning to night and the streets are full of cars and motorcycles. But, before 9 a.m. the street is a vegetable market. I could have spent hours inspecting the different greens, clovers, mushrooms, spices and dried things for sale.


Chris stopped to inspect the alligator gar (?).


We did find a few quiet places in Kathmandu. This courtyard was one of them.

No comments: